Jeremy Harris

This post is very old. Technology, especially open source, moves very fast and it's likely that some of the information could be out of date. Please take that into consideration as you read this post.

Jun 2011

Batch Updating Submodule URLs

Since I have moved all of my plugins to Github, there's obviously some updating that needs to be done on my CakePHP apps that use those plugins as git submodules. Namely, I needed to replace the old repo urls with the new ones. To do this, I first opened up my .gitmodules file using vim.

$ vim .gitmodules

Then just some regexp happiness from command mode.

:%s/git\(:\/\/\|@\)codaset\.com\(:\|\/\)jeremyharris\//git:\/\/github\.com\/jeremyharris\//g

It looks like a lot, but it's really nothing special (just a lot of character escaping). It looks for instances of my old Codaset repo urls and replaces them with the read-only Github ones. Just to note, it looks for my Codaset read+write ssh urls as well as the regular read-only http ones. Technically this isn't the cleanest regexp (no word boundaries, matches all combinations of :|@ and :|/), but because of the nature of the contents of the file there's really no need.

Finally, I had named some of my plugins using - as a space delimeter rather than _. To make it easier to clone modules into Cake apps, I've renamed them using _ in Github. To fix this in my .gitmodules file, I ran

:g/jeremyharris/s/-/_/

This command looks for lines containing my name and replaces - with _. Then just save using :wq.

After that, simply sync the new repo urls with git.

$ git submodule sync

Jeremy Harris is a web developer with over 10 years of experience. He's coded in many languages and currently focuses on PHP, both agnostic and framework-based. When he isn't at the keyboard, you can find him walking @riverthepuppy or brewing beer. He only talks in the third person when peer pressure dictates he should, such as on his blog.